(information borrowed from Australia)
- Between 30 and 130 feet from your main home, with an entry door facing the principal dwelling - consider age, disabilities and other physical limitations as you choose your site.
- At the end of a clearly marked, non-slip access path that is straight, level, and obstacle free
- 30 feet or more away from outbuildings, garages or carports
- 30 feet or more away from other fuel sources, such as firewood piles, farm equipment, etc.
- Where any nearby trees have been removed or at least trimmed of branches that could fall on bunker door
- Where other vegetation is kept at a minimum or completely clear around the bunker
- Where there are no other combustible or non-combustible objects that could fall onto a bunker door because of wildfire generated winds