Be sure to include a map marked with at least 2 evacuation routes and any shelter-in-place spots that you’ve identified ahead of time. It's a good idea to pack local maps too as cell towers (and GPS) may be out of commission.
It's also a really good idea to have an extra set of car, house and RV keys, credit cards, cash or traveler’s checks in your Go Bag.
Here is a list of some of the essential items to pack...
- Extra set of car, house, and RV keysMaps with evacuation routes and shelter-in-place spots marked
- Local maps (in case cell towers are down and GPS is not working)
- Credit cards, cash, and /or traveler's checks
- Flashlight and batteries
- Swiss army knife
- Matches in waterproof container
- Hand-cranked radio (or battery-powered radio and extra batteries)
- Emergency blankets (the silvery kind)
- If you can, also pack sleeping bags, pads, tarps