A structure will offer more protection than a car, so if there is a building nearby, get inside it. Otherwise, park and stay in your car. It will be safer than being in the open, where you would be directly exposed to flames and radiant heat.
- STAY IN THE VEHICLE.
- Find a safe place to park with little or no vegetation.
- Turn on headlights and emergency flashers to make your car more visible in heavy smoke.
- Close all windows and doors, shut off air vents, and turn off the air conditioner.
- Get under blankets or coats, preferably wool, and lie on the floor.
- Wait until the fire front passes and the outside temperature has dropped. Then get out and go to a safe area that has already burned.